pages 7, 8
College Road’s existence can be traced to a period quite early in the last century; it did in fact appear on a map dated 1840 although it was not then named. At about this time the first habitations were built in the road and one old cottage at number ? which was recently demolished for purposes of redevelopment, was known to have been built in the mid-18th century.
Another interesting building in College Road which has long since disappeared was Harrow Weald Dramatic Hall which was burned down over 50 years ago. Among the many local artists who appeared in concerts held in the Hall was George Arliss*. The site on which the Hall stood is now occuped by Harrow Weald Tennis Club. During an air raid on the night of February 18th, 1944, six houses in College Road near the junction with College Hill Road were destroyed and many others badly damaged. Two people were killed and others injured.
The present-day appearance of this little thoroughfare is quite interesting; at the Harrow Weald end on the South side are some ancient habitations known as "The Cottages" and a number of houses, mainly on the same side, obviously date back to a period early in this century. Evidence of the 1930s building boom can be found and there are also two modern groups of buildings known as Leonard and Highview Courts. A very mixed bag of architecture indeed. The site now occupied by Le...... Court was formally a farm called Glengarry.
The "Red Lion" public house is situated at the High Road end of College Road (see photograph number 6 in centre pages). At least two previous public houses have stood on the same site as the existing establishment which was built in 1935. An interesting fact about the present public house is that one of the famous sarsen Stones stands outside. This stone, which is probably the most ancient relic in the district is believed to be the original Weald Stone from which Wealdstone took its name many years ago. In conclusion, College Road may be described as a fairly quiet and perhaps insignificant little thoroughfare which leads nowhere in particular, but it has an interesting and rather friendly atmosphere and can claim to be one of the oldest roads in the district. (see photograph number 7 in centre pages).
(*Further reference is made to Mr. Arliss in the narrative about "The Avenue")