Volume 9 - Kenton Hamlet and District
R S Brown, 1979
Charlton Road is situated to the north of Kenton Road and is therefore within the boundary of the London Borough of Harrow. It is one of the roads to be named afer a village on the Cotswold estate of the late Captain Churchill and - although developed in the 1930's, follows the route of an old country lane which once wandered across a dozen meadows before arriving at the outskirts of Edgware village. The intervening distance has now become Taunton Way and Merlin Crescent, leading into Buckingham Road and Whitchurch Lane.
The old lane travelled north from Kenton, past Kenton Lodge, which a century ago was flanked by well-kept lawns which contrasted pleasantly to the background of elms - where the peace was frequently shattered by a noisy rookery. The lane now branched north east and became little more than a footpath by the time it was bisected by Honeypot Lane. The latter lane - once a much used route had become largely grassed over, providing access for only the occasional farm cart. Failure to sustain it as an effective highway was blamed on the Parishes of Stanmore and Kingsbury but both bodies disputed any liability for maintenance.
As the route continued on its two-mile journey towards Edgware it ascended a slope from the top of which could be seen the distant heights of Bushey and Brockley with a beautiful view of the spire on Harrow Hill away to the south west.
Prior to the first world war Westfield House was built near Kenton Lodge: following occupation by a Leopold George Peradon, a private school was founded there in 1927 by Alec W. Dalton, providing some 30 places for local children for as many years. After existing for barely half a century the house was demolished in circa 1959, the site being utilised by Kenton's Evangelical Church. The name 'Westfield' is however included in the title of three minor highways to the west of Charlton Road and no fewer than 22 thoroughfares in London and its environs share the same designation.
Charlton Road is now a typical suburban highway which links up with Queensbury Circle - but its accessibility to heavy traffic has been curtailed by the installation of a traffic barrier.
Branching off from Charlton Road at a tangent is Kenmore Road, the latter being routed approximately in the same direction as an old Kenton footpath. Both this road and Kenmore Avenue on the western boundary of the hamlet connect Kenton with Stanmore: hence the origin of the name.
The name appears again as the title of an estate to the east of Kenton called Kenmore Park - on which over 2,700 people were housed during the period ending 1938.
In the 1930's a private developer began work on this 58 acre site but the London County Council took it over in 1935 - after insisting that partly finished roads and sewers should be completed. The Unit Construction Company then erected almost 600 cottages and 73 flats for the Council.